What to Wear & How to Rock Confidence No Matter Who You Are (Part One)
There is something that EVERYONE thinks about when they’re considering a boudoir shoot: How in the world am I going to do this? How am I going to feel sexy in front of a total stranger? And will the photos look good? Will *I* look good?
And so, I’ve decided to put together a whole series of blog posts on those exact questions. First up, What to Wear – Part I.
The number one question I get about boudoir photo shoots is “what do I wear?!” I think most of us struggle with this question on the daily. From picking out jeans that feel right to finding a top that doesn’t cling (cause we all know just because it didn’t fit yesterday doesn’t mean it won’t today; thank you hormones!) I completely understand why so many of you get stressed about what to wear for a boudoir session. Depending on your photographer, you may be choosing anywhere from 1 to 5 different outfits for the photo shoot! So I’ve put together an entire post covering allll the things when it comes to “what do I wear/how will I feel sexy/ will my partner like it” questions.
1) First, I want you to make note or think of a time that you really felt sexy. Go on… really think about it! (I’ll wait.)
2) Got it? Good! Now think of a time that your partner told you or made you feel sexy. What were you wearing? Get specific. Was it a lacy black dress, workout gear, a simple tank and panties?
With your answers in mind, let’s talk about what sexy is: Everyone assumes that a boudoir session means full-out lingerie, professional makeup, and heels. Pinterest would have us believe that sexy is a stiletto wedged into your G-string pulling it up. (BTW, I’ve done this pose and let’s just say panties can quickly wedge into places they were never meant to be!)
Let’s be honest
If you’re being honest, how many times have you actually been wearing lingerie before getting busy? Maybe it’s often, and if so- go you! But for most of us, that’s not the case. I frequently read blogs on the topic of “what is sexy”; what men find sexy, what women find sexy, etc. It’s not always what Pinterest shows us. For some, there’s nothing hotter than a plain t-shirt and bare feet. Others go crazy over corsets and stockings.
Everyone is different, but there are a few things that are almost always on these “sexy” lists. I’ll go over those & then give a few ideas that will challenge you & maybe even make you feel your sexiest EVER.
MY FAV SEXY GO-TOS
1) Red lips
3) Curves. ANY curves. Breasts, lips, hips, butt, legs. Rock them girl.
5) Stockings with vertical seams
6) Mini Skirts
7) Tight jeans
8) Obvious but… Lingerie! Tiny, lacy, silky, slinky… there’s just something about it that makes you want to show off your naughty side. No need for the imagination here, baby; lingerie creates the fantasy for you! Is it hot in here? No? Just me? Let’s move on. Lingerie makes you feel empowered, sexy, and maybe even a little bit naughty! Although some of the stuff is just flat out uncomfortable, but damn, it looks great! You have to decide how important the comfort of the outfit is; after all, the photo shoot is only a few hours long at the most. (If you’re local to Jacksonville, FL check out Bloomers! They have a great selection!)
Corsets! (Of Course!)
9) My last favorite “sexy go to” is corsets! Ah, the universally slimming wonder garment, every lingerie lover should get a steel bones corset of their own, at least once in their life! These bad boys are expensive, but fabulous. You will never feel in any other outfit how you feel in a corset. If you live in Jacksonville, head over to Subculture in the Avenues Mall and let those girls fit you for a corset! (and if you’re not standing taller with your boobs smashed into your chin and looking fly as hell, write me and let me know. I have yet to meet someone that doesn’t like how they look in a corset!)
Pro Tip: While corsets are universally sexy, they are also very difficult to move in! Get your corset at least a week before the shoot, wear it a few times, and get used to how you move in it so you’ll be as comfortable as possible by the time you’re showing off for the camera.
Phew! This is getting long! I think this is a great place to end part one, so in part two I’ll share more of my favorite outfits and of course some visual samples! Stay tuned!